Sunday, March 30, 2014

Lenin....More alive than the living???



Maybe it's because my expectation comes from the Jason Bourne action scenes, but Moscow isn't quite what I expected.  I love it! The architecture is a compelling mix of stately pre-revolutionary, 'St Petersburg' type buildings, the drab Cold War era apartment buildings that remind one of egg cartons standing on end, the statement of fortress that is Red Square, and winsome cross-topped Orthodox churches with onion domes twirling into the sky. And yes, even some attractive edifices from the Stalin era--now a mix of government ministries and rehabbed luxury apartments.  And all of this overlaid with  winding ancient stone streets that have seen it all, now supporting the new presence of booming capitalism--designer store fronts, BP stations, billboards.




Regarding billboards, Moscow looks like any other Western city.  They are everywhere, and scream out all the deficiencies in your daily life they can solve. Our host gave  an interesting slice of life about them.  She served as a tour guide during the Soviet era.  As she pointed out the ubiquitous white and gray apartments (that look amazingly like the old freshman dorms at the University of Nebraska BTW), she commented that they still provide much of the housing for average Russians.  I replied, "Yes, but they didn't have the billboards in front of them as they do now."

She countered, "Oh yes they did.  But back then in the Soviet era, the billboards were all slogans.  Like....'We Support Resolution 128' 'Tractor Factory 16 Exceeded its Quota' or my favorite 'Lenin is More Alive than the Living'

I think he'd be a tad surprised to tour his new digs, actually.  Not quite sure this is what he envisioned.

Now, your view from the road is crammed with advertisements of cell phones, designer shoes, Ford cars and the like.  Missouri may be the US capital of billboards, but we have nothing on Moscow.

On the descent flight in, I had the window seat. I saw a ski resort just outside Moscow. Took me aback at first--the weather here is definitely spring-like.  They are evidently making snow there as well as in Sochi. And I saw suburbs, old and newer homes on twisting lanes and cul-de-sacs.  Some of it looked familiar--like flying into KCI and viewing the Northland developments from the air.  But the roofs!  They were of all colors.  Now we AMERICANS are the 'drab' ones with our insistence on weathered wood colored 3 tab asphalt cloaking complete neighborhoods.

I'm taking pictures, but do not have a data plan on my phone over here, so I'm having some issues uploading them while in country.  I'll get them added over time :)  Thanks for reading.

Tomorrow--a day of contrasts. The US Embassy and the Kremlin



No comments:

Post a Comment