Thursday, March 27, 2014

Model United Nations

One of my favorite roles as a gifted ed teacher is that of Model UN coach.  I have always had a personal interest in travel.  I've soaked up history and culture in and out of a formal academic context, and truly just love experiencing new places--the everyday life of another 'somewhere'.  I also love history--the stories of what has happened, where, and why and how does it affect ALL of us today?

As the model UN coach, I get to 'infect' my students with this travel bug. I hope it's contagious!  I share their excitement before conferences when we find out the countries we get to represent.  I admit it--I tell them to hop on youtube and watch the official travel videos first thing.  Then, look at some personal videos and blogs from travelers, young and old, who have gone there before them. Soak in the best of what this place has to offer.  Why is it special, and unlike anywhere else in the world? Then, we tackle the 'academic' part, the history timelines, the cultural demographics, the GDP, allies and enemies, natural resources, etc.  They feel as if they are really a part of their 'adopted' country, sharing its joys and struggles.

What I also hope they 'catch' is a passion for solving world problems.  I've seen my kids research and propose solutions for world hunger, ending human trafficking, cleaning up the Great Pacific Garbage Dump, protecting World Heritage Sites, disarming terrorists, improving education for refugee children, ending the ivory trade, and promoting international cooperation in space exploration. 

Each semester, we compete in 2 conferences.  One in town and one out.  This last fall, we tried out Model UN at the Univ of Kansas in Lawrence.  I was thrilled for my students to get a one-day taste of collegiate life.  I hope to infect them with the 'higher education' bug also.  I had novice students (yes, you, Michael!) getting up and speaking in front of dozens of peers, advocating their resolutions. 

This trip to Russia is especially significant--my students are representing Russia at the JCCC conference while I'm actually OVER there!  I hate not being with them for support, but I have a feeling they are going to do just fine without me :)  Thank you, thank you, TEACHERS FOR GLOBAL CLASSROOMS, for sponsoring me on this truly amazing opportunity.






No comments:

Post a Comment