Thursday, March 27, 2014

TO Russia with Love!

It's almost here--I'm leaving for Moscow, Russia in 36 hours.  It feels like a numbers game at this moment, though.  26 lesson plans, 2 suitcases, 75 state quarters as gifts, 8 flights, 9 time zones to cross, and 1 already-lonely Corgi to drop off at the 'resort' in the morning before my last day of teaching before I go.

My students gave me a great send-off.  I think they're just as excited as I am.  They pitched in and helped me video-tape The Life of American Teens, came up with questions for their Russian counterparts, and promised, promised to not torment the subs while I'm away.  My 'survival of the sickest' class, studying Richard Preston's nonfiction thriller, The Hot Zone, comforted me with the fact that if I DO contract the Zaire strain of Marburg while abroad, I could have as good as a 33.333% of surviving.

A special thanks to Mr. Nellis, Ruskin High's AP History teacher extraordinaire, who altered his lecture schedule today so I could video an American educator's perspective on Russia's World War II experience and take it with me to the Lyceum in Saratov next week.

My principal has been an amazing support, from accompanying me to the preparatory Symposium in Washington, DC last month, to helping arrange special PD days, the subs, etc.

My husband, a frequent visitor to Moscow some years back when he worked flights there with American, listed out all the 'must see's'.  His advice?  Stay away from the NYC Canal Street type junky souvenirs. Spend rubles, not credit cards, in the stores. And the beer is better for you than the vodka.

And my youngest?  Thanks a jillion, Abby, for helping me get this blog up and running.  I, and IREX, thank you!

Now it's pretty much down to the packing.  And the dog....




No comments:

Post a Comment