Friday, March 28, 2014

SIBERIA!! A LAST MINUTE Change in plans

SIBERIA! I need to un-pack and re-pack!! The US state department interrupted my afternoon class to call and tell me my 2 week teacher exchange to balmy Saratov, Russia has been drastically altered last minute. 

Yes, I'm off on a 7:15am flight tomorrow for Krasnoyarsk, Siberia, the former HQ of  the gulag system.

Still really excited to teach for 2 weeks in Russia--just need a LOT warmer clothes. It looks to be quite the adventure. Goodbye to the Swan Lake ballet performance and hello to late winter granite climbing.


I was really looking forward to visiting the Lyceum in Saratov.  It was a 'closed city', during the Cold War, meaning no foreigners were allowed in.  It seems as if it were an area analagous to our NASA.  Military aircraft were designed, assembled, and tested.  The city appeared lovely in photos, situated on the Volga, in the southwestern area of Russia. It appeared to be flush with lovely architecture, culture, night life, etc.  But, as it is relatively (400 miles or so)close to the Ukrainian border, it appears that the switch to Siberia was prudent.

So, I'm packing as if I'm heading off to Northern Canada :)  We are in the southern part of Siberia, which I understand has a climate somewhat resembling Aberdeen, Scotland (been there!) or Winnipeg, Canada (never been there).  Besides teaching, we will be going to a nature reserve, observing unique granite formations, and enjoying the late winter/early spring east of the Urals.   Looking at the globe with my students just after my phone call this afternoon, one commented, "Mrs. Kucera!  You're going to be right by the Arctic Circle!!"

Well, maybe not RIGHT by it, but close :)  I am getting more and more excited by the moment.  The sudden change in itinerary created a flurry of activity, though. A sad and reluctant sign-off to Kate, the lovely teacher we were working with in Saratov.  New reservations, new plans, new clothes to pack, and new people to meet.  Whew!  

It will be good to visit with my team of US teachers in Moscow for a few days, so I can see how the lessons I had prepared for Saratov will fit into the plans they have been constructing these past weeks for Krasnoyarsk.  I have in hand some materials for Saratov's "Festival of Cultures".  Its coordinators requested info on  "Hobbies and Pasttimes of the American Teenager" (Thanks, Abby for ALL your help on that one)  and "Cities and Towns of America's Heartland".  I also brought a lesson plan for English teachers in Russia--a vocabulary building exercise using Latin word roots a la Harry Potter spells.  It's been a hit with my own middle and high schoolers, so I thought Russian teens and tweens might want to give it a whirl. I also was planning to present on College Prep and the ACT. 

If any or all of it fits in....GREAT!  If not, I can enjoy and absorb my colleagues' presentations.  One thing critical for this program is definitely flexibility!  

As for teacher gifts, another thanks to another daughter.  Leah, the sports 'stuff' was a great idea.  I got 10 lanyards, all from teams and colleges surrounding KC:  Mizzou, KU, Iowa, KState, Arkansas, Nebraska (naturally) and even Oklahoma :)

For the students, I'm bringing rolls of state/state park quarters to hand out.  Russian students really know our geography.  I think they'll enjoy this specially-minted money. They were a hit with Turkey students on my trip back in 2009. 

  At top is a 'googled' pic of the amazing granite formations--Krasnoyarsks' major tourist draw.  Lovely!! 
I just had to also google if Krasnoyarsk is far enough north to observe the Northern Lights--Aurora Borealis.  It is!!!! I hope the time of year and weather is right.  I'll keep you posted!  Back to final packing!




No comments:

Post a Comment